Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Having a local user's mail go to him AND others?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zachman

Technical User
Sep 27, 2004
US
Hi, I have a local user named Bob, and his email address is bob@example.com. I want all email sent to bob@example.com to go to Bob, Alice, and Tom. In sendmail, I has this in the aliases file:

bob: \bob,alice,tom

How do I get the same effect in qmail? There is a local user named bob, so I don't think .qmail-bob in /var/qmail/alias would ever get used.

Thanks,
Zach

I *think* that you should change local user bob to bob1 and use the .qmail-bob file. This makes sense to me since everything that is sent to "bob@" would be processed by your alias rule anyways, so the "real" bob account doesn't matter from an addressing perspective. Hopefully person "bob" doesn't mind picking up from "bob1". He should be able to set his mail reader to do proper "From" and "reply-to" for "bob@" just to keep things tidy.

you can put a .qmail file in the home directory of bob
with 3 lines and read permission for bob
-------------------------
bob
alice
tom

-------------------------
assuming that you have these 3 account already

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor