Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Have you used the Briefcase feature extensively? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Craino

IS-IT--Management
Oct 22, 2002
US
I work for a medium-sized company. We are in the process of doing business continuity planning. One of the big issues that has come up is, to no one's surprise, electronic files that users have stored locally on their laptop/desktop that are not copied to the network drives.

We supply everyone with a network drive that is backed up daily. In the event of a disaster, these network drives could easily be restored. Of course, if the user isn't using or backing up to the network drive, then he/she is out of luck if their system is destroyed or physically unavailable.

A "quick and dirty" solution we were thinking about was requiring all users to copy their My Documents folder to their network drive, then drag that network drive into a briefcase on their local system. Then assuming we could get them to at least log into the network once in a while, the files would synch and they would have fairly current data automatically backed up via the network backups.

I having trouble getting comfortable with the briefcase feature however. The documentation on it is skimpy at best in Explorer help, and I can't find much online. A search of tek-tips on briefcase came up with nothing.

If anyone out their has used this feature extensively, I'd love to hear from you. Things that I'd like to understand is how exactly the synch process works, how reliable is the feature, does this solution make sense to you, etc.

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back