Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Have used mobo; Have problems...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glassin

Technical User
Jul 12, 2002
US

I recently purchased a used Shuttle mobo with AMD 1800XP processor off Ebay ( I know; It's a shot in the dark!) The Mobo model # is AK32V2.1 and it accepts either PC133 SDRAM or PC2100 DDR RAM. It has a Pheonix D686 BIOS installed.

This is just an extra computer that I'm building out of leftover parts so all I have is SDRAM for the memory.It does have a new 300 watt power supply. When I turn it on the keybord flashes and all fans come on and the hard drive is active but I don't have any video nor do I get a POST beep. I've tried several different video cards that I know are good so that's not the problem.

Could this be thee Bios or CPU??? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

No beeps could be the speaker is not plugged into the motherboard or is plugged in backwards.

Take everything off the motherboard except the cpu (and it's fan) and see if you get a beep. (make sure a speaker is present like Blujacket says) And yes it could be the bios or cpu, either could be dead.

Sometimes clearing the CMOS (by either the jumper on the mobo or by taking out the battery for 10 min or so) will take care of the trick... if the mobo isn't AUTODETECT what the CPU is concerned, double check it's FSB setting... Also make sure that, if in place, the frontside USB conns aren't reversed... and do TRIPLE check that the HS-FAN isn't mounted reversed... also unplug any IDE for testing purpose, wrong pinning or damaged Cable can lead to the symptom of a no VIDEO sig to the monitor...

Ben

Reset the bios. The jumper is next to your battery on the motherbaord. Or just take out the batter and put it back in. Remember to have everything un-plugged from any power source.

Can you even see the screen that tells you when to push the button to get to the BIOS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back