Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

have to reset wireless router to get on network 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technical User
Jul 29, 2004
US
I have a u.s. robotics wireless router and every couple of days I have to unplug it to reset it in order to get on my network. Any ideas on how to stop this? Thanks

Replace it with a different wireless router.
Having to power cycle home grade routers is normal, every 2 days is excessive, 2 to 3 months is more normal.
If you feel adventurous try flashing the bios with the newest available version. The factory flash version may need updating, the original flash may have been bad.
Most of the time this kind of hang is caused by a buffer overrun. Sometimes its caused by internal code not clearing a buffer somewhere caused either by sloppy coding, or by a routine not being called (or not working at all) caused by a bad flash.
Second most likely cause is bad power, normally the transformer provided with the unit.
Sometimes this is caused by internet side traffic, either accidentally (a buffer overrun problem again) or deliberately.

I'm having this same problem, but I've tried a new router and it still happens. I have a 7 client Mac/PC wired/wireless network with DSL. Basically, every day or so when I open a web browser, it just hangs. I can't log into the router, so I power cycle it and it works. I don't have to power cycle the DSL modem, so it seems the WAN link is OK. This started happening a couple months ago with the Linksys I had. I just got a Belkin pre-N and the same thing happens. Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back