Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

have to press power button multiple times 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrcandyman83

Technical User
Mar 16, 2006
US
I have an secondary older Gateway (i know!) pIII that has some strange starting habits. More often then not, when I initially press the power on it begins to start then immediately shuts down. It doesn't even get to initiate video or anything. Most of the time it will do this two or three times, than start up properly. Every once and a while it does it over and over again and won't even start at all. I wouldn't call it a problem as much as an annoyance. Any sugeestions or starting points are appreciated.

There is a latching circuit on the motherboard that takes the power supply to on and holds it there.
Sounds like that circuitry is bad.
Will take a voltmeter to verify.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Ed, That is irreperable w/o replacement, correct?

"You could dream a little dream or you could live a little dream. I'd rather live it, cuz dreamers always chase but never get it" -Aesop Rock

Not worth it, you'd have to replace the MB. Save any newer components, and maybe the case, and get a new system.

-David
2006 Microsoft Valueable Professional (MVP)
2006 Dell Certified System Professional (CSP)

Mrcandyman83
Sounds very familiar and very possibly our our friend
"Mr Bad Caps"
Check the capacitors closely on your motherboard, look for bulging/leaking around cap ends.
Check this site out for examples of what to look for:

Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back