Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Have to keep resetting DualView

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheAggie

Programmer
Aug 27, 2002
US
I have a Dell M70 laptop attached to a docking port with an external monitor setup for DualView (spanning my desktop over the two displays). The laptop display is set for 1920x1200 (native) and the monitor is set for 1600x1200.

This works fine but when I re-dock my laptop in the morning or after a meeting, often (but now always), the external monitor is not on (listed under "Display Properties" as "Not Active"). If I then go to the NVDIA Display Wizard and accept all the defaults then everything comes back except that the monitor is set to 1280x1024 which I then have to set that back to 1600x1200.

This is annoying to have to keep doing this.

Any ideas on how to prevent this or at the least reduce the pain? At a minimum, getting the monitor to default to 1600x1200 rather than 1280x1024 would reduce a step in getting me back. I tried setting up an NVIDIA profile then reloading it when I had the problem but that made things worse (it moved all my desktop items ARG and I had to rearange them back the way I wanted them).

Mark

Try saving a hardware profile. Another thing to try is shutting down your laptop before docking and un-docking.

Good luck,

I already have seperate docked and undocked profiles.

The problem sometimes happens when go home and come back the next day (power off, close case, undock, ... dock, open case, power on).

Download the newest driver for the laptop video card. Not sure if it will help or not but worth a try.

There is a point in wisdom and knowledge that when you reach it, you exceed what is considered possible - Jason Schoon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back