Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Have to fix this within 1 hour, please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 3, 2003
US
This might have been discussed before, but since I have to fix quick, I decided to post.

Scenario:
WinNT4 Server, Exchange 5.5 SP4.

All users can access OK in the office. Webmail is working OK.

When trying to access via Internet, ie. dial-up, I can receive all emails ok, but when it tries to send it will not find the server. I can do this from home and are through cable with same settings but when trying it with a dial-up like msn or sbc it will not access. the servers are set as mail.mydomain.com

Like i said, I can access it from a connection like cable from home and send, but with dial-up i can only receive not send.

PLEASE HELP, the boss is leaving at noon CT and needs to access via outlook express and send emails.

What's your domain? We can at least check that the name resolves correctly from outside.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
There are only 10 kinds of people; those who understand binary and those who don't...

got it figured out the last minute.
09876543210: no they are corporate exchange email accounts.
the problem resides somewhere in the dialup loop. i dialed out through another ISP and it worked just fine. It seems that some ISPs block the smtp.

and thinking about it, it actually seems logical that an isp like msn would block this to avoid relaying and spammers.

thanks anyway!

Thre is no difference between a connection from "cable from home" and dial up via "msn" as far as your exchange server is concerned.

Internet mail is internet mail.

Apparently your "connection from home" is different in some way?

Figure that difference out and you will solve the problem.

My first guess is that you are blocking POP3 traffic with a firewall or at the exchange server itself (since you can receive but not send).

I suspect that your "connection from home" is via VPN.

no, from home i use comcast cable, simple cable/dsl router, and my laptop. no vpn or any kind of direct connection to the office. i used the same laptop and dialed msn trying to check email and it would give me an error when trying to send emails. could not find server. but when receiving, every email came in ok. i then switched to another dialup ISP (aristotle) and i could send out emails. i tried switching between them several times with the same result. i did not change the settings on the laptop. the settings are: tcp/ip only with "obtain an ip automatically".

on all 3 cases i can get on webmail or the internet fine.

Have your users use their isp's outgoing mailserver.

Shutdown the msn client before attempting the vpn connect. Cisco vpn I know will NOT make nice with msn running. may be a port or vpn conflict between the two. Typically if msn is already signed on and you try to start a 3rd party vpn the client tends to kill the socket and drop the default gateway. No I don't know why. All I know is I have run into this before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back