Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Have to change my IP addresses; any advice is welcome!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfk8680

Technical User
Dec 20, 2002
NL
Due to a merger with several other offices I am required to change my current IP addresses. We are using Windows 2000 SP3: two domain controllers which also serve as DNS, WINS and DHCP servers, an Exchange 2000 server, an MS SQL2000 server, a two node Advanced Server cluster used for file & print services and five Terminal Servers (application mode). I know this is going to be a tricky operation so any advice, past experiences and stuff like that is very welcome.

Jeffrey Kusters

MCSA, MCSE, CCNA

I haven't worked with clusters, so not sure how they will affect things. You should be able to just change the IP.

After you do, run IPCONFIG /FLSUHDNS and IPCONFIG /REGISTERDNS

Also make sure that the entries pointing to the old IP are removed from DNS and WINS.

I hope you find this post helpful. Please let me know if it was.

Regards,

Mark

I'm assuming that this is because of your DCs static IP addresses conflicting with those in one of the other companies. I've changed the IP Address of a DC in a live environment before with no real probs, so you should be OK. The only thing to watch out for is if you end up with 2 DHCP servers in the same subnet.

Oh yeah, and if your developers have been in the habit of hard-coding IP Addresses into apps rather than DNS names :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back