Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Have I violated something in copying codes? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mandy_crw

Programmer
Jul 23, 2020
PH
I have gotten & copied vfp codes in this forum, edit it and design it according to my needs. Am i violating anything?

Program code is no different from any other copyright material: it belongs to the person who created it. In theory, you would need to ask permission from that person in order to copy it and use it.

In practice, it's safe to assume that if a forum member posts their code here, they are implicitly giving their permission for other forum members to copy it and use it. That is the very reason they post the code.

At least, that applies to code that was written by the person who posted it. If that person copied it from some other source without permission, then that would indeed be a violation of copyright on their part. But it's unlikely that the original author would object. Most programmers post code on the web because they want to share their knowledge and programming skills, and would probably be happy for others to use it.

Note that we are talking here about your copying code for your own use, in your own applications or for your employer or clients. If you took someone else's code and then re-published it without permission as if it was your own, that would be a different matter.

Mike

Visual FoxPro articles, tips and downloads

thank you mike for enlightenment... now i know that i have not committed any violations... keep on helping, God bless...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back