Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Has anyone written about shutdown time

Status
Not open for further replies.

xwb

Programmer
Jul 11, 2002
GB
There are loads of articles on how fast W8 is on startup. I've tried it: it takes just as long as everything else on the same hardware. Some come up with the long screen really quickly but the mouse, keyboard and network (if you are using synergy) don't respond until you've waited the same length of time as all the other OSes.

I have yet to find any articles on how long it takes to shutdown and why it takes so long. The NT, 2K, XP, Vista, W7 and W8 machines take from 10s to 10 minutes to shutdown. Some might say it is time to upgrade your hardware. Processor speed has nothing to do with it. I've had dual processor, multi-core 3GHz Xeons and core 7s taking over 10 minutes to shut down. Sometimes a P4 on an IDE disk beats a Core7 on a SATA hybrid shutting down!

What are your experiences on shutdown times?

Test your Shutdown from Safe Mode to see how quickly it can shutdown. Try eliminating programs that might slow the shutting down time by using the clean boot procedure.

Advanced startup options (including safe mode)

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7

My Windows 8 seems to shutdown very quickly, certainly quicker than XP. One reason for very slow shutdowns might be the setting of a Group Policy, "Shutdown: Clear virtual memory pagefile", an explanation follows.

"This security setting determines whether the virtual memory pagefile is cleared when the system is shut down.

Virtual memory support uses a system pagefile to swap pages of memory to disk when they are not used. On a running system, this pagefile is opened exclusively by the operating system, and it is well protected. However, systems that are configured to allow booting to other operating systems might have to make sure that the system pagefile is wiped clean when this system shuts down. This ensures that sensitive information from process memory that might go into the pagefile is not available to an unauthorized user who manages to directly access the pagefile.

When this policy is enabled, it causes the system pagefile to be cleared upon clean shutdown. If you enable this security option, the hibernation file (hiberfil.sys) is also zeroed out when hibernation is disabled.

Default: Disabled."

The pagefile and hiberfil.sys can be multiple GB's in size.

Another reason for slow shutdown time can be the installing and updating of Windows Update.

I have Windows 8 Professional on a Dell XPS M1530 laptop that boots in 23 seconds and shuts down in 7 seconds. This laptop was designed for Windows Vista which I replaced with Windows 7 when it came out but nothing can come even close to the performance of Windows 8. This laptop is certianly not the latest technology as it is at least 5 years old or older, you may have settings that need tweaked.

Certainly worth trying, especially for the new ones which have W8 installed. As for the others, I think I'll just leave them: it is about 30 machines, some with 4 VMs which also need tweaking. About 100 odd OSs altogether. I'll leave it for a rainy day.

Shutdown also depends on how many open programs you have running.... also nice move mouse to upper left corner and close all that crap first...
many of the apps are still running, and like anything you have to close ea one first....or face corruption...

Frank Smith
SomeWhere in Kansas Near Dodge City

strange to me... because my Windows 8 does truly shutdown... very easy.
C:\Windows\System32\shutdown.exe -s -t 000
nothing hard about that ... if you want SHUTDOWN then SHUTDOWN...
of course if updates are installing it will finish updates and shutdown on first reboot but you then have to allow for the updates to finish next start,
so recommend you check (updates pending) before you shutdown...
I add shortcuts to all my customers for
1. options
2. restart
3. shutdown

MS-BT
BetaTester.gif

Frank Smith

I created a sutdown command from the command prompt. Yes it takes a minute to shut down but it saves about 4 mouse clicks.

Never give up never give in.

There are no short cuts to anything worth doing :)

golly gee what all do you have still running, my Win8 Enterprise x64 with office is normal shutdown in 8 to 10s.

Frank Smith

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back