Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Has anyone used CR 8.5 and exported to XLS, PDF, RTF???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2001
US
I'm interested in getting feedback on CR 8.5's capabilities for exporting in excel, word, or pdf format. Is it better yet? i.e./ Will I still have to fumble with my reports in order for them to appear correctly in the exported format? Any feedback would be great.

Thanks
CrystalVisualBOracle :)

I was told by Crystal folks that the export to Excel will never be clean, unless the fields in the Crystal report are exactly lined up and aligned the way the Excel report should look. If you have a field as a group header that is extended over other detail fields below it (for example), Excel won't (and apparently never will) know exactly where to put it.

Don't know about the other formats...

Used Crystal 8.5 export to PDF. So far, exactly the same as Crystal preview. Much better than Word or Excel.

I 2nd Sapple's comment about exporting to excel. It can be done, but its a bit messy. The comment about not having a text object that spans multiple columns is particularly true. I had to use "blank" text objects to keep the columns headings in the same column as the data they represent in excel for the export to work.

I was never big on exporting to excel anyway. Once you get it there, if you do ANYTHING to the data other than to print it, you should just write the formulas in crystal and print it from crystal. There is no need to go to another application.

Software Support for Macola, Crystal Reports and Goldmine
dgillz@juno.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back