Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Has anyone tried installing VIOS on JS21 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

RahuldKumar

Technical User
Oct 29, 2008
US
2.10.1 Virtual I/O Server image installation from DVD
Virtual I/O Server 1.3.0.0 is shipped as a single DVD media that contains a bootable image of
the software. When installing VIOS/IVM from DVD, you must assign the media tray to the
desired blade and then mount the VIOS installation media. The remaining steps are similar to
a normal AIX 5L operating system installation.

I was following the above procegure as given in the guide... but i do not get it from the sms menu.

I seltct to boot from the cd from sms menu and then it displays no operating system installed....Am I missing something here

I have done that.. followined that document...

Now I get the following screen and then after some 20 minutes... I get a AIX login when in I have to login as root and it goes to AIX 6.1.

Welcome to the Virtual I/O Server.
boot image timestamp: 09:28 10/30
The current time and date: 09:32:22 10/30/2008
number of processors: 2 size of memory: 1024MB
boot device: /pci@800000020000002/pci@2,4/pci1069,b166@1/scsi@1/sd@5:2
kernel size: 14149648; 64 bit kernel

after this I have AIX version 6 Login...I need to fix this issue today.. plz help

Wow.... Thanks khalidaaa

Now I have successfully create 2 LAPRS on each of these servers...

I have a query here

I have created these two Lpars lpar01 & lpar02 with two different Ip's in the Blade Server JS21A. Now I can telent to lapr01 &lpar02 but I am not able to telnet to JS21A. Is this something normal in AIX or have I done a Mistake somewhere.

Also I see the following error before I login to JS21A

The Service Request Number is BA01B015 platform Firmware Unrecovered Error, general....

Also I am unable to use root/root password anymore. I only am able to login using padmin/padmin password. here also is this something Normal or how it is... Plz Advise

I have one more issue apart from the one I have posted above...

By mistake I have installed VIOS on one of the blades which they do not want VIOS on it... Is there a way i can uninstall VIOS or remove VIOS on this server and leave it with AIX 6.1 or do I have to Install AIX 6.1 again from scratch...

You must reinstall AIX61 from scratch. VIOS is built on AIX but it is a stripped-down image of AIX. So there's no way you can uninstall the VIOS layer and have a full-working AIX appear.

HTH,

p5wizard

VIOS/IVM is a protected environment, so it is normal that you don't have root access to the VIOS lpar anymore.

To allow network login to the VIOS lpar you'll have to configure networking - use mktcpip command when logged on to the VIOS console with padmin user. Also I'm not sure telnet is allowed in VIOS, you may have to use ssh.

HTH,

p5wizard

I second what p5wizard said! You have to always use ssh with VIOS!

Regards,
Khalid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back