Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Has anyone set-up 128K ISDN back-to-back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

4DeanB

Technical User
Feb 10, 2003
US
At small satellite offices that need a dedicated connection to a central Host office, and dial-up is just too slow, I commonly install a 128K ISDN circuit at the remote locations (No DSL or cable available. Telephone service is typically even new to the area) and VPN them into their Regional Host office via the Internet (provided by a local ISP in that area).
I now have a situation in a city whereas I got the ISDN line at the site but find out later that Verizon (the only game in this town) wants over $1,400 the first month (router, ISP service w/ static IP, and installation). $300 per month after that.
My question is, Why can't I install another ISDN circuit and router at the Host office and have it call the remote? (it's a local call) and bypass the ISP completely. An office associate here seems to think that it would work, but will run at 56K due to the nature of analog modems cancelling each other out. Anyone have a suggestion?

ISDN is fully digital (the D in this case stands for digital), so calling ISDN -> ISDN will give you 64k/channel, both directions.

If you set your routers to use BOD (bandwidth on demand) then the second channel will drop when it's no longer required, and will save you a few pennies too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back