Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Has anyone heard of a difference file? I want to change settings ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theexplorer2

Programmer
Oct 23, 2000
US
I want to change settings for a certain program. I heard that it is posible to run a difference file which takes a snap shot of the computers hard drive before the changes were made, then after the changes are made it takes another snap shot and then compares the two. Then it makes a difference file of whatever changes were made. The changes can then be installed on the client pc's. Does anyone know how this is done? Where to look for references (The books I have aren't very useful)?

I'm a newbe so I don't know much about it but I've been told to research how to pass out setting changes to cpu's in the field?

If you havn't heard of difference files do you know how to change the settings of a program?

Thanks

Kyle [sig][/sig]

(copied from Windows NT magazine)

A good way to keep a close eye on the Registry is to use SYSDIFF in Microsoft Windows NT Resource Kit. With SYSDIFF you can make an image of the Registry before you install new products, then compare that image to the working Registry after you install the product. SYSDIFF reveals any changes between the two Registry images.

For file system changes, you can make a before-and-after comparison to help locate all files added or changed by installing a new product. To perform such a comparison, you can use WINDIFF, which is also available in the NT resource kit, to compare one text file to another.
To examine changes in the file system using WINDIFF, before you install a new product, open a DOS window and change to the root directory of the disk you want to watch (e.g., C:\). Then, create a text file containing your entire directory and file structure by issuing the command
dir /S > directory1.txt

This command creates the text file, directory1.txt, which contains a list of all directories and files on whichever drive you were on when you issued the command. Create such a file for all drives available on your system, using a different name for each drive, of course. When you complete your new software installation, create another set of files in the same manner, using different file names. Next, use WINDIFF to run a comparison of each matching set of directory listing files you've created, at which point any directories and files that an installation routine removed, added, or modified should become readily apparent in the WINDIFF display. Be sure to read the WINDIFF Help file for complete instructions on using the tool.

Hope this helps.

Mike [sig][/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back