Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Has anyone ever heard of a virus like this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

soas

Technical User
Aug 3, 2001
US
alright.. I dont know all the symptoms or details, but I am trying to help out a friend who seems to be experiencing a virus problem.. (excuse my cynicasism, but it almost sounds made up, though I dont know why they would bother making it up and I dont have much reason to doubt them)

First of all, they have windows ME and thats about as much as I know about their computer lol, they say they recieved some kind of email virus.. They have alot of trouble with AIM and AOL..

First of all, right now I am on aim and it shows them online but if I try to message them on their aol name.. my message sends.. but I dont think they get it.. so I send one more, it says user not available.. I dont have aol or anything so I dont know how it all works.. I call them up and ask whats up, they say noone's been getting messages through to them.. They have alot of crashes and freezes and very slow performance, apparently they have trouble with msn also, They ran housecall and it said there was some trojan, but they have little patience with computers and gave really sketchy details so I couldnt help much...

Anyways, has anyone ever heard of a virus that does all this?

Best suggestion? Have them install an anti-virus program. I'm sure a lot of people will give you their 2cents so here's mine -- install either of the following: VirusScan (no laughing, it works), Norton, Kaspersky or F-Secure. These programs, at one time or another, saved my a** so anyone of them will do just fine. If nobody says there's a virus, you should check what else they have installed. Probably some some spyware -- so get Ad-aware from Lavasoft.

Hope this helps.

AVChap

There are several virus lately that "attack" IM services. Follow AVChap's advice.

James P. Cottingham

I am the Unknown lead by the Unknowing.
I have done so much with so little
for so long that I am now qualified
to do anything with nothing.

You could also have them go to the Norton/Symantec site, site, and have Symantec check their system out (free for a home user) to determine what they might have. They should be patient as the scan could take some time. Well worth it to find out.
If they have anything they value on their PC, however, purchasing the low-end AV-software could be well worth its weight in gold.
Additionally, AIM, I believe, leaves them "wide open". I don't use AOL.

We found out she has SUB7.22.D, she has windows ME and we followed the directions here

but none of the steps were necessary? the virus still shows up, we're still figuring out how to get rid of it

We were both trying to track down where she might have got it and I was wondering, what are some common ways to get this virus?

Sub7 is a RAT (remote access trojan). You can safely delete the file. You may have to end the process being used before you can delete it.

AVChap

Guide your friend to install a Firewall like Zonealarm. This would prevent that a beast like sub7 becomes activ. Additionally a program like Trojancheck could prevent the illegal installation of such malware.
hnd
hasso55@yahoo.com

Last Post:

Trojancheck is a german software which is free for private use. It can be downloaded from

It works for the common windows OS but it is not released for Windows XP.

It checks the registry and the system initialization files for entries which causes a task to be started and reports all changes in this part.

I am using it and it prevented the installation of a spy tool on my PC in one case.

hnd
hasso55@yahoo.com

soas, you can get sub7 from all kinds of places like infected emails, warez sites, through ICQ etc. Have you run a virus scan and did you delete the infected file? If you still have sub7 download The Cleaner which is free to try and run a scan with it. It should detect and remove it for you.
Sub7 allows a hacker to access your computer remotely so you need to get rid of it pronto. It's also a password stealer.

If The Cleaner doesn't remove it or there's an error after removing it then download Startlog.com from the link and run it. It'll create a text file on your desktop. Copy and paste the contents of Startlog to your reply here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back