Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Has anyone ever got a repair disk to work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

upsilona

MIS
Mar 6, 2001
GB
Hi,

I have just been doing disaster recovery, I Have bee trying to get my SAM database up and running on the DIS REC Domain. However the repair info from my live domain is too large to put on a Emergency Repair Disk, so it useless for disaster recovery.

It saves the files that are supposed to go on an ERD to the "C:\WINNT\REPAIR" folder. Which is no use if you want to install them on another server.

I have tried burning the "REPAIR" folder from a server in my live domain onto CD and copying this to the "REPAIR" folder of a server in my DIS REC domain, and then attempting repair using this folder. However it always ends up corrupting the SAM information and I end up with a error like "CD000001" when I try to logon.

Any help on how you can transfer SAM Info between Domains when it is too big to fit on an ERD would be most appreciated.

upsilona

Is the hardware identical if you are going from one server to another?

Rich

Hi Rich,

Thanks for your reply, No the hardware isn't identical, its a totally different machine, even a different manufacturer. The original server was all SCSI inside, with a disk array. The new server is IDE inside with an IDE hard drive.

upsilona

The full set of SAM files contains configuration which is unique to the hardware including I believe disk drivers. So unless the two servers are identical it is unlikely to work.

What you can do is set up the new server with a fresh install of NT, restore all the data files etc from tape (but not the OS and registry) and then boot up the server using a DOS floppy and replace only the security SAM files from the repair disk. You have to boot from a floppy because the SAM files are normally locked when the server is running.

Depending on which of the SAM files you put back you will restore different parts of the old settings. It's been a while since I did this so you will have to experiment to see which SAM file does what.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back