Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Has anyone connect a telephone to a PA system 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

officetek

Technical User
Sep 26, 2006
CA
Ok, so its an odd request, but I need to make it possible for a person calling in to be heard by a large crowd. All i have to work with is a hands free phone and an unknown make of PA system.
Anyone know if the phone can be wired into the amp, or do i just hold a mic up to the speaker and hope for the best??

Is your computer plugged in? Is the monitor turned on?

If you want to do this easily, make a station-level interface to your paging system and transfer the incoming call to that station...
Mike

The LG telephone systems can do this. There is a jack connector on the processorboard for the line input to the PA system. A standard anlog phone or an LG keyset can access the PA by a code, and the users voice is heard through the loudspeakers of the PA system.
In the USA LG systems are sold through VODAVI inc.
///doktor

doktor, what you described there is a PA interface, which just about every key system/hybrid/PBX can do, not just LG.

Sounds like the OP's application is just a bit different than that, but to really be able to tell I think we need more details, like who manufacturers and models of the phone and PA system.

Like Lundah says, just about every manufacturer has a paging port on their systems. It could be a special paging port, an analogue xtn port, or an analogue trunk port. I really don't know any system that doesn't have this ability.

Look into Polycom phones. Many have an RCA connector for you to add additional speakers which you can then just plug into a conference center's sound system. Your question isn't real clear as far as "person calling in to be heard by a large crowd". This could mean a lot of different things. Personally, I took it to mean there would be an auditorium full of people at a business function where additional people would call in and ask the speaker a question but that's just my crazy interpretation.

-CL

You can get a loud speaker that splices into the speaker leads of a telephone from Wheelock or Valcom. I use them where there is telephone in a high noise area. Anything comming over that phones speaker will also come out of the loud speaker. Good luck.

We all need a little help once in awhile. Tony the Phoneman..

I think that Lopes1211 has the senario correct - many times a church will want to have a phone call to a missionary come through the sound board so that everyone in the congreation can hear their live report.

Using a single line station port and a "telephone hybrid" is the best way. Manufacturers like Getner make them for radio stations to do live remotes, or take calls on the air, and have some (relativly) inexpensive units. They allow you to set the transmit and receive levels seperatly.

Just in case anyone is still watching this thread.
We are expecting a phone call on Xmas from a VIP, the call will go through our PBX to a Nortel 3904, then via microphone over the PA to the auditorium. We dont have a lot of time to buy or try many different options. I'm in Afghanistan right now and cant pop down to the local tech store and buy things.
It turns out that you can put the speaker phone into group listening mode to limit the amount of crowd noise retransmitted over the phone and the PA.
Thank you all for your interest.

Is your computer plugged in? Is the monitor turned on?

to officetek

If you are using a Nortel 3904 phone I assume your PABX is a Meridian 1.

if you have a XFEM card, or a XUT card in the PABX, you can create a paging trunk aund route. Then just transfer the call to the ACOD of that route.

Also, the 3904 have a headphone RJ6 (I think) just find the earphone pair and play with it to connect to your PA. You may have to make some impedance adjustments

Good luck in Afeghanistan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back