Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Has anyone configured VOIP on Succesion

Status
Not open for further replies.

RonGriff

Technical User
Feb 10, 2005
GB
Does anyone know if it's possible and what is required to run either SIP or H323 on a Meridian 81C which is running Succession and Communications Manger software ? Current software rel 4.0.

I know H.323 is possible, using the medai gateway cards for either line side or trunk side VoIP. SIP is something Nortel is working towards, but the last conversation I had with any one in product development was that SIP was a 5.0 or later service. I also know Nortel wants to go there, it is just not in place yet.

As far as what is required, that will depend on what you want to do. If you want IP to the desktop, you will need IP Set licenses, the software load for IP Line on the MGC, and software on the signalling server to mahange and support the sets. Similar with the trunk side (IP Trunk licenses, software, etc.), only you will also need some form of gatekeeper and Network manager (possibly a sencond server) for the trunks.

I know I may not have all the parts, and many people here may be doing exactly what you are asking, and can answer better than I can. I just know I was not happy with the number of pieces in the design of an IP Trunk environment for the number of sites I have (110+).

Hope ths helps,

Scott M.

Minimum required :
Rls 3.0
SigServ
MediaCard
IP licences for IP Phone
H323 or SIP licences for IP peer trunking

Zones defined on PBX
VGW channels for MC (IP to TDM)
Virtual Loop for IP phones or IP trunk
Virtual DCH, rout and trunks for IP peer