Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Has anybody used Winroute rather than MS Proxy

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrDan

MIS
Nov 18, 1999
US
I've just had Winroute suggested to me by another MIS and I was curious if anyone here has used it or has any information on it. The web site is <A HREF=" TARGET="_new"><br>
According to this person and the website, it's secure, acts as a VPN, and is the best thing since peanut butter.<br>
<br>
Thanks <p> Dan Moore<br><a href=mailto:mooredan@nospam.jddealer.com>mooredan@nospam.jddealer.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>Tell me again why FORMAT C: won't work...

FORMAT C: will not work when you have a NUL character in offset 04h of your partition table. (FORMAT C: will not work if &quot;C: is not a valid drive assignment&quot;.) Other than that, I'm looking into the URL you suggested. Any solution may be better than the problems we have now.

The &quot;Format C:&quot; thing was a joke. Maybe not well delivered. I'll have to come up with something better. <p> Dan Moore<br><a href=mailto:mooredan@nospam.jddealer.com>mooredan@nospam.jddealer.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>Tell me again why FORMAT C: won't work...

I have looked at the site, it seams very good.<br>
But the price seems a bit high, the intergration of dhcp into the product is a good idea if you want easy setup. I have done something diffirent to what you would normally do to set up a proxy server, I done the following.<br>
<br>
I have a NT4 workstation, running jana proxy (very good proxy software),ISDN connection, and virus protection in real time with the internet. Then I setup a Corel Linux box, I set this up with dhcp, dns,(mail as well) squid proxy service running, The dhcp, does the automatic setting up of clients, dns caching to save on bandwidth, squid is a http and ftp caching proxy server.<br>
<br>
Because NT4 workstation only supports 10 connections at once to it, it only see's the corel box connecting to it, so only one connection there. the corel box is caching everything that it see's so when they revisit a page it comes from squid instead of the internet.<br>
<br>
My internet serves six computers very fast and efficent, the tiny software does not cache http or ftp so it will reload the page from the web, this would slow your connection down quite alot, any way there's the way i done it.<br>
<br>
Just thought you can see the diffirence. <p>Simon Jones<br><a href=mailto:sijones_uk@yahoo.com>sijones_uk@yahoo.com</a><br><a href= Allandale Youth Works</a><br><b>God</b> am good!!! and good lookin :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back