Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Has anybody deployed vUCC with Free ESXi

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarond

Technical User
Mar 30, 2010
AU
Hi Guys,

Looking for someone with experience with vUCC.
The documents state that you can't deploy with a vsphere client directly connected to the ESXi server (which is how the free version operates)

eDocs said:
Note the following deployment requirements:
• vUCC must be deployed using the vSphere Client connected to vCenter. You cannot deploy vUCC using the vSphere Client that is connected directly to an ESXi server.

I noticed going through the document you don't get offered some of the deployment options when deployed via free ESXi. I went ahead and installed anyway but now I can't license the server. I get the below error from the Inital Config Wizard when trying to enter my ARID. (I have created a ULM and assigned licenses)

Not licensed - vUCC was unable to retrieve the licensing key from Applications Mitel Center (AMC). Please contact support.

The server has internet connectivity and resolves names ok as far as I can tell. (i.e. I can ping 8.8.8.8 and domain names ok from the console)

My question is, has anybody deployed vUCC with the free ESXi?

I have also installed vMAS on free ESXi.

vUCC is the all in one standalone offering that includes vMCD, vMAS and vMBG all in a single instance (virtual machine).
So a single VM is all that is needed. Instead f separate VM's for each application.

I don't think your problem is the deployment .

I have deployed without vcentre and managed to get it licensed properly.
Technically mitel don't support this method of deployment .

If deployed without vcentre , you dont get access to an additional config wizard.
I used a trial version to see the difference , I wasn't impressed with the additional functionality and ended up deploying directly and manually configuring everything.

Mine was only for evaluation purposes.
We are yet to sell / deploy one in the real world.

Vcloud doesnt support deployment from ova so if Mitel want to use vUCC in vloud environments ,they must support deployment of vUCC to vcloud via ovf.

The Best Practice virtualization doc from mitel does explain how to extract and deploy via ovf.

If I never did anything I'd never done before , I'd never do anything.....

Thanks for the feedback.

Yeah I think the deployment should be ok. I did manually configure through the admin console after the deployment and I believe it is all good.
I will try to re-deploy and see how I go.

I didn't think it would problem using free ESXi either.
I had already looked at the AMC earlier and it didn't look like it registered any Hardware ID. I assumed bad internet but that all tested ok.
I just went through the deployment again and I still couldn't license it, although this time I noticed that it had a hardware ID assigned in the AMC.
Not sure why it failed initially. It appears the Hardware ID registered was from the first attempt.
As soon as I cleared this it synced OK. Just going through the Wizard now so I'll see how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back