Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Harris TS1200 Butt Set 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

AplusConsulting

IS-IT--Management
Jan 16, 2003
US
Has anyone used the Harris ts1200 ADSL/POTS butt set to test dsl? I just purchased a used set and tried to run some tests. The POTS test work fine but when I test for ADSL I try to connect and nothing happens. I know the DSL is active and throughput is 755/318 after overhead. This test set can be of valuable use in diagnosing DSL probs. The manual to it is not the best in instructions and Harris test eqiup. was purchased by Fluke. I have sent emails to Fluke but have not heard back yet. Does anyone have any experience with this test set?

According to Jensen Tools the Harris 1200 is only compatable with Alcatel DMT DSLAMs. It is possible that the CO is using a different system.

What kind of modem is used at the customer end?

Well, the spec sheet says that it will sync with any Alcatel compatable ADSL DSLAM. I too would suspect what is being used.

-Hal

I have a 1200 on my truck and it works fine. Our Office
uses AFC dsl equipment. I use manual test and sometimes
I have to try a couple of times befor it syncs.

The customer is using an Efficient 5100B modem. I believe that the DSLAM is Alcatel compatable but I will make certain of it on Monday. The DSLAM is in SNET (SBC) territory. I have tried it at 2 different locations, one out of a RT and the other direct from the CO. Both have had the same results. I have also emailed back to the person that I purchased the 1200 from who used to work for Harris to see if they have any answers.

All of the Efficient modems I have seen are Alcatel DMT compatable. It sounds like you might have a problem with the test set.

I finally got the test set to work. It was on another dsl line. I plugged into the jack and tested without any problems. On my own home testing I was able to get it to work but had to jump through some hoops. At my house when I tried at the jack I could not get it to connect and test. If I connectected to the 66 block, while the Efficient 5100 modem was connected,I would get "Line to noisy" when checking for load coil. On a test it would knock out the DSL and I would stop pinging and the the DSL would sync up again with the same ip address and resume pinging. If I disconnected the modem and tried I would not get test results and get no data msg. I ended up using an old Efficient 5360 modem and put a splitter at the jack on the modem. I connected the 1200 into the splitter with a banjo. I had the DSL connected and was pinging to verify connection. I then ran a test and it showed no load coil. I showed data. I tried testing and got the results that were comperable with a speed test that I then performed. I am not sure why I can not test from the DEMARC straight out without a modem connected, why I can not test while the 5100 modem is connected, Why I am getting too noisy while the 5100 modem is connected. It could be my home wiring for the phones which was done in serial, It could be that I am getting DSL from an RT and not from the CO directly, It could be that When the 510o is conected it creates problems. I will still have to play around to get the answers. I do know that the test unit does work though which was a big concern as I bought it used.

No reason you can't call tech support with your questions, your TS1200 isn't hot is it? :) As you said, Harris products are now being serviced by Fluke Networks. You can give them a call at 1800-283-5853.

-Hal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back