Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hardwire LAN through wireless router won't connect

Status
Not open for further replies.

calculus

Programmer
Apr 10, 2003
US
I know this is strange...

I had to replace my MB/processor. I thought it wise to format the HD at the same time. So I had a clean install of XP SP2 with no firewall and no anti-virus on it.

When I connect directly to my cable modem through the LAN I can connect to the internet. This shows that the GB LAN port on the new MB works. It also shows that the LAN cable works.

When I plug in the D-Link (DI-524 router with latest firmware), then plug the LAN into one of the ports, I get "limited or no connectivity". In this same configuration I can unplug the computer and plug in a laptop and have full access. This shows the issue is somewhere in the operating system since the hardware is working properly.

The wireless works fine as long as is plugged in through the cable modem.

So right now, if I want to use the wireless, I have to basically use the router as an access point only with my desktop hardwire not working. I can also plug in the hardwire, but not have the wireless connection.

Please note, I have reset the router to default and it is wide open with no WEP. I also have another working router with no encryption that I use at work. When I put it into the system I get the same results.

I continue to come back to my conclusion that there must be something in the operating system that is causing this issue.

I use a Realtek RTL8168/8111 network adapter. It has installed: TCP/IP, client for MS Networks, Trend Firewall (installed after test), File and Print Sharing, QoS Packet Scheduler.

I would greatly appreciate some help...

calculus

Do you know the IP address that you gave the router? Can you log into it? There may be a reset button you can press on it to reconfigure it.

Maria Santella
Technical Sales Engineer
ICP DAS USA, Inc.

The problem turned out to be that the Auto Negotiate speed did not auto-negotiate.

I was able set the speed of the LAN adapter down to 10 MPS and it started working.

There's also been an update to the router that allowed it to auto-negotiate properly.

calculus

The problem turned out to be that the Auto Negotiate speed did not auto-negotiate.

I was able set the speed of the LAN adapter down to 10 MPS and it started working.

There's also been an update to the router that allowed it to auto-negotiate properly.

calculus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back