Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hardware Tracking System

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChadV

MIS
Apr 15, 2004
US
I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I work for a small non-profit organization with about 50 pc's. There was no real tech support and I will be taking those duties. I would like someway to keep track of what each pc's hardware and software consists of and also be able to track issues of each pc. I am hoping to get some suggestions on how to do this. Is there a good cheap program to use? Has anyone here created such a program in Access?

I am not looking for anything elaborate, just something simple to keep track of the pc's and IT Support.

Thank You,

Chad

Chad

You might be in luck.

I developed a tool for ou company that captures, displays and then e-mails a whole heap of data:

HDD Volume Label
HDD Volume ID
MAC Addresses
IP Addresses
OS

All registered software

It may be of use, if so drop me an e-mail through my website and with a little customisation it's yours for free.

There's an access database that goes with it (MS Acces 2000) which gives facilities to do such things as view all hardware, software, available software etc.

Let me know . . .

----------------------------
Cogito Ergo Sum [jester2]

This system comprises two components:

System Analyser. This basically runs a load of batch commands in the background and outputs a DAT file that can be read through Notepad.

An asset Manegement Database which you can insert this information into. The database provides some reporting functionality and there is a proprietery tool held within Microsoft Excel that enables you to simply copy and paste the software section of the DAT report and then take that information and paste it directly into the database.

Please note - this is currently under development and has no error handling as it was deigned to run on Windows 2000 machines with a session of Outlook active.

However, that said. I would be more than happy to make it available to anyone who needs it on two provisos:

1. You do not resell it.

2. You keep me posted of any errors you receive with a description of the environment and scenario the error message was received.

[colorface]

Cogito Ergo Sum [jester2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back