Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hardware tracking of laptops.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dodger6

MIS
Aug 13, 2002
US
I need assistance locating a Hardware tracker for laptops, in my environment I cannot use a software tracking system like LoJack.

I've been unable to find a system that we can enable and track remotely.

We've had several laptops stolen in the last year but due to bios passwords, network passwords and closed vpn tunnels the standard "when it hits the web it reports" type of software will not work for us.

Anyone have any recommendations on GPS type tracking systems for laptops?

Thank you for your time.

You'll be very lucky if you find a discrete (e.g. embeddable) add on device for normal laptops.

First, look inside your laptop and find room for anything, let alone a tracking device.

Second, if a thief sees something the size of a small mobile phone attached to the laptop (which is the best you will get for sensible money - as it uses the same tech as phones), they're going to get suspicious and probably just remove it.

Third, it is likely that the tracking device will cost about the same as a laptop when you factor in service charges... you may as well just buy new ones and save on all the laptops that don't get stolen.

Make the laptop data secure so data theft is less of a concern, then take the hit of the losses - it will be less expensive in the long run unless you have extremely high spec machines, which is very uncommon for a corp environment.

If you can find a laptop with this built in, that's great news (though I've never seen it) - just consider the extra cost as I mentioned above.

A better solution would be to provide security training for staff, better secure your premises and through company policy ensure staff don't put company equipment in unnecessary danger, like leaving in their car overnight etc.

Here are some gps tracking devices:
as you see, most are for cars... because cars cost considerably more than laptops, so justify this extra investment.

There might be something out there, don't take my brief search results as all there is to offer, but just think about the overall cost.

A smile is worth a thousand kind words. So smile, it's easy! :)

Cost is not an issue, nor is the laptop itself.

This is for law enforcement so every meg of data could be months of casework.

A lost laptop, firearm, badge and work could easily cost the department more that $50K.

Thanks for the options you linked, there's always a chance someone runs across something we miss.

Hardware loss is not your problem then. Data Security is. Having really sensitive data on a laptop "at home" is a security issue (tracked or not). Having really sensitive data on a laptop anywhere other than a secured location is going to pose a security risk. You don't have to steal the laptop to steal the data... clumsy hardware thieves probably wont care about the data, but someone who wants the data will probably not care about the laptop - and just rip out the hard disk, throw the laptop away (along with your tracking device) and take an image.

So, it may give you a little "piece of mind" and you will likely be able to track those that dont care about your data (so if cost isn't an issue this is an extra benefit in some cases), but the real risk for your data is not mitigated by this approach. Secure your data through usage policy, storage policy, encryption standards etc. Then you can be much more assured that the bad guy doesn't have access to your sensitive information.

As well as software based encryption for either files, sets of files or the entire disk (which I would strongly recommend TrueCrypt: you can also use a hardware key based approach: e.g. Windows offers choice of an encrypted filesystem (2000 and up I think), though it has mixed reports in terms of ease of use and robustness. You're better using Truecrypt.

If you can, don't let them take the data away from the data centre, and in the cases that they need to, ensure it is highly encrypted and signed in/out. Using transparent disk encryption, software or hardware based (or both) limits the impact on the end user, but provides security that will be far beyond the vast majority of would be current attackers (if not all if using a bruteforce against the strongest level of encryption within Truecrypt and hidden volumes).

good luck with your search

A smile is worth a thousand kind words. So smile, it's easy! :)

I was just going to mention the same as damber.

It would not take long to boot the laptop with a live cd and image the hdd to a thumb drive or external hdd.

Your #1 priority is data security at the file or folder level.

Chris
IT Manager
Houston, Texas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back