Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hardware Required for Raid 0

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdorfman

Technical User
Mar 14, 2005
CA
Our office has an x232 server and I need to expand the storage space. I would like to do this without adding extra drive letters or reconfiguring any of the users.

My plan is to purchase a drive of equal size to the current one, partition it so it is the same logic size as the drive I would like to double....

My question is... if the drive is a Ultra 160 SCSI Hot-Swap... what hardware do I need to achieve my goal.

Obviously I need a RAID controller but I am not sure what type and if that is all I need.

Please help.

What OS are you running?
How many drives do you have now?
How are you configured now, do you have your OS one one set of drives and your data on another?
Or is your OS and Storage on the same set Drives?

If you need to expand the storage space, you will need to purchase more disk and expand your partition to it.

If you want to give your disks dome RAID protection like mirroring or striping, then you will need to buy a raid card and disk to create the RAID. Or you can use your OS to do the mirroring instead of buying the raid card.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back