Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hardware recommendations for CiscoWorks2000 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

islee

MIS
Aug 2, 2001
US
Hello,

We have purchased CiscoWorks2000 and will be using a dedicated server to host this. Can anyone recommend good server hardware that will accommodate this? I know the minimum requirements are:

Unix:
Sun UltraSPARC 60 MP, Solaris 2.6 or 2.7, 1GB RAM, 9GB
available disk

Windows:
PIII 400MHz, 1GB RAM, 9GB available disk

I figure it would be better to go way above minimum requirements, any suggestions?

Also, Unix or Windows? I figure Unix is better, but is it worth the extra money? This will be managing about 30 servers on a backbone. Any suggestions for server vendors? Would the Compaq Proliant be a good choice? Are there any other suggestions?
I don't know anything about CiscoWorks and how much resources it uses on the server.

Thanks for the input

Hi,

You should have no problem with the machines you've specced. I've always had better performance from Solaris systems opposed to the NT option (perhaps because of the amount of Java CW uses?), but whether the extra cost is worth it on a small network is debatable.

One performance tip though...

If you are installing IPM, install the server component on a seperate machine to your CW2000 server, then install the client on your CW2000 box.

At least a Dual Processor 1GHz 20GBHDDU2WSCSI 1GB of Ram

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back