Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hardware Profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

kdibricida

Technical User
Jun 15, 2005
What we want to do is automatically disable the wireless card when a PC is connected in our office. If a user is not in the office we want the Wireless card to be enabled. Does anyone know of a way this can be done automatically without any user interaction.

I am assuming this to be a laptop?

Did you purchase the wireless card seperately or is it built in? If it is built in, this is usually a function of the laptop, an option something to the effect of network preference, Wired over wirelss, or Wireless over Wired. Depending on your choice it will default to either one and disable the other unless thats the only available connection.

3rd party cards may come with something similar.

It is built in. It is a HP Laptop. Would this be a software setting or BIOS

I have only seen it as a software setting. That doesnt mean it isnt in the bios, and it also doesnt mean that your HP even supports it, if it is new I would say its likely, but uncertain. I would refer to the manual on this one to be sure, you should be able to download it from hp's site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back