Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hardware problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrissirhc

Programmer
May 20, 2000
GB
Have been pointed to this from a another forum.
I have
Asus a7v
900 thunderbird
geforce2 (creative)
ibm 75 (30gig)
128 Sdram 133mhz
usb 250 zip
dvd drive hitatchi
50 speed cd
usb modem (MODULAR).
Netgear network card.
Sound Vortex.

My computer crashes often. Download the latest drivers for nearly everything. Has anyone had problems with any of these hardwares (I use the Nvidia drivers for the graphics card not the creative ones). Also when sometimes going to change the display resolution it crahses the display properties window and returns to the desktop. Deleted most non-essential start up items and am using Dr Watson

My suspicion would focus on the NVidia drivers, but to rule out other problems, I would take the following procedures.

Hold down the CTRL key and boot to command prompt. At the prompt type: Scanreg /fix then sandisk C: /auto to make sure all is well. Then reboot or type WIN then [enter].

Then I would choose Start >Acessories >System Tools >System Information >Tools >Dr Watson. Watson will run in background, Double Click the systray icon and take a snapshot of your system (advanced) then minimize it. The System Information tree has a Components Branch expand it and select problem devices. Then I would run Registry checker from the Tools menu, and the DirectX diagnostics tool. Keep going until you get your crash and hop that DR Watson catches it: you should then get a better idea of where your problem lurks.

You could also check

Conrad W. Paul
cwpaul@syd.eastlink.ca
Creative Solutions to Challenging Problems

I suspect Hardware Conflict between your motherboard and graphic card. Try changing your graphic card with cheap ones just to test if it will work fine or if your computer will not crush by changing the display. I experienced the same conflict but the computer crushes only when the CD ROM Drive was activated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back