Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hardware or configuration issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

robinsdale

Programmer
Jun 5, 2001
AU
I've just loaded Win98se on an AMD 1300 / ASUS mb with onboard NIC. Installed the driver from the accompanying CD, and according to device manager, the NIC is working fine. Running TCP protocol only (no other protocols), properties of which are the usual:
IP address 192.168.0.1
mask 255.255.255.0
No entries in the WINS or gateway tabs
DNS Config has:
Enable DNS
The systems name (Netlink), in caps is in the Host section, with 192.168.0.1
in the search order list.
No computer is displayed in Network Neighborhood, not even Netlink. I can 'find' Netlink, but double-clicking on it gives me the error:
\Netlink is not accessible. No error information is available.
Any idea what the problem might be? The hardware is new - Win98se says the NIC is working properly. Yet it also says the network is unavailable.
Thanks to all who reply,
Cheers...
Robyn

Are entering a User name and password at the log in dialog? If not, you may not be able to access the network. I had the same problem a while ago.

what are yo trying access your own computer using the network?
yes try to install File and Print sharing, and share any resource you want. A+, MCP, CCNA
marbinpr@hotmail.com

Keep fighting for your knowledge!

Hi,
Thanks to all who replied. File and print sharing were enabled (failed to mention that, didn't I?).
I just hooked two systems together using a cross-over cable (thinking the hub might be bad), but while the older system can access the new system (Asus A7N266-VM with AMD Duron 1300 and built-in LAN), the new system displays nothing, not even itself. Checked the adapter driver in Device Manager, and all appears to be working correctly. All settings are identical to the older system, except there is an extra tab on the newer one for power management.
I've opened a DOS Window and pinged each computer from the other - no problems at all. Still can't access NetLink. Quite frustrating...
Cheers,
Robyn

Ok best thing to do then I guess is get a setup thats working and move from there.

Ensure TCP.IP, NetBue are installed and give the machines static IP's as you already have (192.168.0.1, 192.168.0.2). Also if possible set the machines up with the same Domain listed (eg: Mydomain).

Yep, done that. I'm actually on the Asus site now - it seems others have had the same problem with this particular motherboard. Perhaps the techie there might be able to shed some light...
TCP has file sharing set to RW, and a drive is shared on both systems. Do I need NetBeui? I understand it's an old, outdated protocol - TCP should do it all.
Cheers,
Robyn

No, you don't need NetBeui but there is nothing wrong with it. In fact, I'd suggest eliminating TCP/IP and installing NetBeui. This way, if the systems work normally, you know it's a problem with your configuration.

Do you have the microsoft client for networks installed?

Just to state the obvious;
And from a boot up you should leave the network neighbourhood alone for a minute or so to sort itself out. Sometimes you go in and it is not there, then wait a moment or two and go back and it is there.

Regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back