Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hardware Monitoring advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mag0007

MIS
Feb 15, 2005
US
Hi,

I was wondering what is the best way to monitor Sun / Fujitsu hardware.

I support over 300 (100 Fujitsu, 200 Sun) servers, and I was wondering if there is a easy way to notify me via email, if there is a bad rootdg hdisk, fiber card, power supply problem, etc..

TIA

SMC only works for Sun boxes, not Fujitsu.

Anyone have some sort of diag scripts? I would like to use them, if okay.

You might like to consider Big Brother:

There is also a contributors link which might give you some ideas (bottom left).

All I ask of you
Is make my wildest dreams come true

for Fujitsu hardware, has anyone set up the call-home feature?

A good tool for monitoring both your servers and the apps running on them is Foglight by Quest. It can monitor all system usage and many different things about your app. It can even scan your application logs for errors and page or email on those. You can write custom monitor sripts for it to monitor anything it doesn't cover. It's not real cheap, but it is pretty industrial strength and has strong vendor support.

I agree with kHz. If you're not using snmp, you should be.

Take a peak at the SystemEdge agent from concord ( It's an easy-to-install agent that can send traps to any trap receiver under the sun. I've got it installed on about 80 servers and have thousands of hardware and software traps configured.

I use big brother as Ken pointed out. It's a great product...another one I am looking into is Nagios/Netsaint.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back