Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

hardware information toshiba notebook 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

sepp

IS-IT--Management
Jan 27, 2001
AT
Hello,

I´m lokking for a tool that helps me to get detailed hardware informations about toshiba laptops via SMS.
e.g. to see the used RAM slots of the laptops in the SMS management console.
For Siemens Desktops there is a tool call "Deskview" that has a connection to the SMS. Do you know something similar for Toshiba notebooks?
Thanks
Andi

I don't know of any SMS specific tool for Toshibas.

But...if you have some system support tools that can be used at the command line, then you can create a custom solution.

Basically, if you have a Toshiba tool that generates a system report, then you could run that tool in code (VB, SMS Installer or C++) and dump that report into SMS. These dumps are called NOIDMIFs, and it involves taking the report data and reformatting it to MIF specification.

Undoubtedly, the "deskview" tool you mention wrote this MIF file inherently, and possibly Toshiba has one already!

The SMS Res Kit also includes a tool to make sure your MIFs are formatted correctly.

This might be of some help to you. It is toshiba's asset information tool - SMS Connection. It gathers information on laptops at startup and places that information in the noidmif directory as mif files. You can then pull that information in through the normal hardware inventory. The utility will tell you information like: Memory module sizes and Memory banks, serial#, Model#, Video adapter, and tons of other valuable information. You can view the information through the SMS console after it has been collected by looking at the Resource explorer for the client. You can find it by looking at all downloads for portables and searching for SMS. It works on all our laptops except satellites. The laptops it can and can't work on are listed. You may be able to get to it from this link.

Hope this helps.

hello Schoenberg, hello wmaraman,

thanks a lot for your tips.
Your tip, wmaraman was my rescue.
Thanks again

Andi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back