Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hardware independent backup/recovery 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

braddds

Technical User
Apr 26, 2001
CA
I posted this earlier but cannot find it on the site anywhere...so, here it is again! Sorry if this comes up as a duplicate.

I'm looking for a backup/recovery software that can be used independent of the hareware. I'm not using this in a server situation nor over a network, this is just a single pc.

I've used Acronis and Ghost in the past but it was always for personal use only. My backup/restores weren't meant to migrate to new/different machines but for this solution I'd like this option for hardware failure. While I've used my previous backup's to go on new pc's I know that this isn't ideal and problems with drivers/hardware can arise.

This would be used on a WinXP Pro SP2 system. Any help/recommendations would be appreciated.

Cheers

Google "bare metal backup restore" since I think you're seeking a platform-independent backup solution. There are two types of backups: one that images your C: drive so you don't have to re-install apps, and file-copy backups that just backup data. I use both but my system state recovery depends on matching hardware, unless the OS drives are mounted on a SATA RAID add-in card which SHOULD be portable between systems.

Tony

Users helping Users...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back