Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

hardware for new exchange 2003 server 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnrmcc

IS-IT--Management
Jul 17, 2003
US
want to setup a new exch 2k3 server and migrate our users to it from exch 2k. Already did the ad migration to 2k3. Anyway, our current exch 2k server is on 2.0 xeon single cpu 1gb ram and u160scsi single mirrored drive set. The performance sucks, probably due to everything being on one spindle (mirrored) Not even 50 users, but some heavy duty users. What are some good hardware specs if I build a new server. Was thinking dual cpu, 2gb ram, and at least 2 sets of mirrors, if not more, or a mirror and raid5.

what other services are running on it? That should fly.

Maybe add a second DC and move other services over.

About 30 days ago Dell was running a 40% discount on their PowerEdge servers. I got a PowerEdge 2650 with dual 2.8 xeons, two 73GB @ 15K RPM mirrored, three more 146GB @ 15K RPMs in RAID 5 and 4GBs of RAM for a whopping $6,200. That price includes Windows 2003 server with 5 CALs and 3 year same day, 4 hour response warranty, (gold class).

I have ~75 users so I'm sure I'll have plenty of hardware power.

I think the configuration you called out should do just fine for the amount of users you have.

thanks guys...I am running owa, antivirus, and a spam filter on the server as well, but thats it. Hey, digital candy, that sounds like a deal. Now, I have a question, how did you config exch on the 2 drive arrays? I know you are supposed to seperate the logs from the db (if I recall correctly) I am just trying to figure out whether the optimum is 2 different sets of spindels or 3. With the 2650, in that config, its only 2 sets of spindles, with an ibm x345, which holds 6 drives, I can do 3. Any info is appreciated.

A dell 2600 holds 6 drives and you can do three mirrors. A 2650 holds only 5 drives as you state.

yes, i see that now...its not a rack optimized footprint, but who cares, right. Question is though, do I need 3 spindle sets, or is a mirror and a raid 5 good enough. I figure with 3 you could do OS, exch&DB, logs. Or will the 2 suffice? I really dont want any bottlenecks.

anyone else want to chime in on this with their experiences? i am looking to order the server today.

3 mirrors. Although you get more space with RAID 5, the write perfomance sucks. You need one mirror for the OS, that leaves you with 4 drive slots in a 2600. With 75 users, you can figure on 1 I/O per second per user against both the logs and the database. A mirror gives you 100~120 writes per second assuming 10K drives. A mirror for each the logs and database gives you the 75 each you need plus some room for growth. A four drive RAID 5 can only do 90 I/Os per second with the same 10K drives. You'd have to carve out logicals and put both the logs and databases on it. Your users will have performance issues from day 1.

Hmmm. I ordered the 2650 already, with 5 15K drives. Where did you get those disk stats. xmsre, your statement is making me have second thoughts. What bothers me even more is that there is very little documentation on this out there, just word of mouth from expert users. You would think there would be a standard, with all the exchage installs running out there.

i should see where dell is on the build.

I wrote a paper and a workshop while at my previous employer. You'll find much of the information in a condensed form in the Exchange 2003 SP3 Tuning Guide.

Make that Exchange 2000 SP3 Tuning Guide.

The full title was "Microsoft® Exchange 2000 Performance Tuning Guide v 3.06, Updated for Service Pack 3" You should be able to find it or a later one at

Hi I have a Gateway server thatkeeps rebboting every morning and would like to replace it with a new Dell server. Can you recommend some hardware configuration. Right now it's a w2k2000 dc, ad,gc, SQLserver, print server and servers 60 users. It has 8 G HD, 512MB Ram. I heard that DELL SC poweredge servers are good choice for SB with limited funding. Thanks

This really belongs in the Dell servers forum. I subscribe there also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back