Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

hardware diagnostics 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimdevon

IS-IT--Management
Oct 14, 2002
US
Help, I am a network and database consultant. Problem is that some of my clients are small, so I have to be everything. Hardware troubleshooting is my weak suit, and I normally tell my clients that they would be better off buying new equipment rather than paying me to fix older systems. I would rather, however be able to quickly troubleshoot problems and fix them. I am in contact with Micro 2000 about their system ($900,ouch!), but if it is the best, I am game. Please send recommendations. Thanks in advance. Jim

The Micro2000 POST card is good for those computers that get power to the motherboard but won't boot up. I've used it for several years in conjunction with the Micro2000 Diagnostic floppy for those computers that can boot to the floppy.

I have seen other POST cards advertised at cheaper prices but haven't checked them out.

I have the floppy and it's worth it's weight in gold. It checks everything so long as it can boot to the floppy. No doubt it is expensive but I use it a lot. It's not something I would lend to a customer I don't think you can copy it. The floppy was 200.00 and that was 4 years ago.
I hope that helps? I work on fixing the computers your not supposed to tell them to buy a new computer your supposed to send them to me! he he he
I do agree 900 is a lot.
Cindy

[2thumbsup]

Never needed a post card. Been repairing for 18 years, pc's,laptops,printers,servers....never once needed a post card. that's not to say that I don't have diagnostics that I run. mem86,dft,pctools from watergate software. I mean if the machine won't post and it was working fine,take it down to minimum config.(system board,cpu,mem.video card,kb and mouse. if it posts,start adding devices 1 at a time till it doesn't,when it doesn't,the device you just tried to add is bad...if the hard drive is making a noise it didn't before,it's bad. if it won't read cd's...it's bad. This is not rocket science. The field doesn't fix the memory dimm,or the transister or diode or caps,that fail,you replace the failing part. Why spend 900 dollars on a card that you would use less then 1 percent of the time,and 99 percent of the time it is used it's the system board,or memory...cpu's rarely fail. Ok I'm done ranting.

Rich

I shall use google before asking stupid questions!

I always have test parts in my truck so that I can switch out the customers parts that I'm not sure work. I have modems,sound cards, video card, power supply, floppy, and cd rom. Heck I could almost build another computer!

Cindy
[smile]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back