Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

hardware confliction??? VIA MB and ATI AGP

Status
Not open for further replies.

canix

Technical User
Jun 1, 2000
US
PlEaSe HeLp....!!!!!!!

I have computer that I am working on. It boots into windows 98 fine but locks shortly there after. I pulled the sbLive5.1 card out(knowing it conflicts with the MB) and the problem persists.

Reloaded Win98, checked cpu, ram, hdd, installed the via patch and flashed the bios. Still... the darn thing locks up.

I know that ati has a few bugs with via, but I have tried a different agp. Now my only option isthe MB andI don't have another one to replace it with....

NE1 have an idea... feel free to contribute. I need new input.

Thanx
~CaNiX~

Those who seek me, must first seek the storm and the wolf who lerks within it.

Well I have, amongst others, a TMC mobo with VIA chipset, AMD K6-2/500, ATI AGP, and SB Live 1024! Does your system lock up if you stop it booting into W98, i.e. hit <F8> and select &quot;Command prompt only&quot;? What happens if you run up in SAFE MODE? Recheck all the CMOS settings, maybe reset to SETUP DEFAULTS. If it only freezes in W98, then suspect a wrong or incorrectly installed driver, or perhaps a hardware conflict of some sort - does Device Manager show any problems? I'll assume you've checked for a proc heat problem...

ROGER - GØAOZ.

Are you by any chance running an AMD K6 processor greater than 350 Mhz? If so Windows 95 & 98 have a problem with these CPUs. A patch is available from Microsoft, check the knowledge base, do a search on AMD. If this is the problem you will find you are able to boot sucessfully by disabling the L1 & L2 cache in the BIOS, It will be slow but you get there, then install the patch, shut down and re-enable the cache.

If you've not got the patch for a 350MHz or faster AMD K6, you'll usually get a Windows General Protection Fault message before it boots into 95.

ROGER - GØAOZ.

There is a problem with some motherboards and AGP. Go to the Manufacturers website and look for downloads for the &quot;GART&quot; drivers for the AGP slot. You may have to also go into the BIOS and turn on the USB functions. Enabling USB frees up the extra IRQ's for the AGP GART Drivers. They need it to build tables.

I had a similar problem with my son's Computer with an A-Open AX59PRO and AMD K6-2 300 with VIA BIOS. Might want to enable video caching and video bios caching, and set the AGP apeture size = 1/2 total memory.

Look for 4-in-1 download. Actually is 4 separate executables. If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Get a surge protector! Hey no kidding, they are great.
It's interesting what you say about the via 133 chipset and ATI conflicts. I just killed two motherboards with via 133 chipsets. The only graphics cards I had were ATI. My power supply in the house is dodgy as heck and I think the constant rebooting killed the boards. But before they died they kept locking up.
Since installing a surge protector I've had no problems but I'm also back to an intel chipset. Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back