Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

hardware conflict with serial modem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tierney

Instructor
May 28, 2002
I have a swannsmart turbo serial modem which connects, but either doesn't load web pages or takes in excess of 3-4 minutes. Sometimes the pages time out, other times they just sit there. msn messenger, funnily enough, stays connected the whole time. OH but for no apparent reason, at times it just seems to "take up" and will load pages cleanly and quickly then dies a graceful death just as quickly. I have tried reformatting the hard drive and doing a clean install of windows 98 SE, uninstalling/reinstalling dun, modem drivers, updating IE, have been on the phone with my ISP tech support for longer than I care to think about and the only thing they came up with was the UART may be too old. (16550AN) The manufacturers website says that it supports 19450 & 16550 though. If I install it as a standard modem, it works fine. If I try using the cd supplied and freshly downloaded drivers, I get numerous error messages, and it disconnects immediately. I have tested it on 2 different computers, both running Windows 98SE, both have gigabyte motherboards (one is ga-5aa and the other is ga-7zm) It works like a dream on the 7zm but not on the 5aa. I am at a loss! Any ideas?

you said you can install it as starndar and it works fine. why not leave it that way? "Jack of all trades. Master of none."

Sorry about this, it was late when I posted.

What I described is when it IS installed as a standard modem, it doesn't work at all with its correct drivers.

Check in port settings. Make sure it's set to hardware, not xon/xoff, and port speed is 115,200 not 9600(the default is 9600!). Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back