Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Harddrive recognition

Status
Not open for further replies.

minuteman263

Technical User
Oct 19, 2003
US
I have a laptop with a bios that will only see 40 gigs. Here is the question. If I install a bigger hard drive and partition it to 40 gigs and ghost it fron the old drive, will the bios only work with that partition, or will the bios just through up it's hands. I can't be sure if the bios will just recognize the 40 gig partition, or look at the whole drive and refuse to go any further even with it being partitioned.

The bios will see the hardware as a whole. So if you partition it, it will still see only one drive of the full size.

It's unlikely the BIOS would just stop functioning because it can't see the full drive, it will most likely just set it the maximum amount it can handle.

Now you may get lucky and have windows actually be able to recognize the entire drive regardless of what BIOS reports.

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back