Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

harddrive problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
hi,

amd k62 350 mhz
win 98
64 mb ram
8 gb hd

i formatted my computer and used the boot disk d/led from it had two options for preparing the hard drive-1. onedisk-which makes it one large fat32 disk OR 2. failsafe-which makes a 1 gb c: and a 1 gb d:, both fat16, leaving the rest of the drive unallocated. here is the problem, i have a win95 cd and a win 98 upgrade. the win95 cd will not setup windows 95 on a fat 32 system, it has to be fat 16. so i chose failsafe, it made two 1 mb drives, i installed win 95, then upgraded to win 98. i have an 8 gig hd and only 2 mb are being used and i don't know how to regain that unallocated hd space. i want to turn my hd back into one large 8 gb drive ( getting rid of the d: ). i d/led partition magic pro 5 and tried to remove the partitions and convert the unallocated drive space, but the best i could do with that was even out the space equally between the c:, d: and unallocated space. if i can convert this back to my original 8 gb hd then i plan on using partition magic to split it into two 4 gb drives.

any suggestions on how to fix this hd problem?

FDISK WILL DESTROY ALL HD INFORMATION

Best thing to do is...fdisk the HD with the win98se start up disc. than when it asks if you want to use all the HD space as large, type [Y]. you will than get a 32bit 1 large fully empty 8 gig partition. than set it to active if it asks, and when done reboot, than format c: /s and reinstall every thing..

do like lexx said, nuke the whole deal with the 98 start-updisk's FDISK, but when you set up the disk again in FDISK, don't go for 32bit, cause like you said, W95 wont start up on it, so do a small partition (2gig), whatever size you want, install W95, then 98 upgrade, convert to 32bit using the converter in 98, (or 95 if its osr2), then use Partition magic to recover the rest of the volume.

whew!

Ray have fun

Actually, you can use the 98 upgrade to do a full install, without going through 95 first.
Use the 98 startdisk, fdisk, selecting Y to large disk support, partition as you like, sys the disk, and get any good CD-ROM driver. Run setup from the 98 CD, and when asked, just put in the 95 CD as proof of ownership.

Jim
reboot@pcmech.com
Current moderator at
Staff contributor/moderator at
Windows 9x/ME instructor.

Jim's Modems:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back