Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Harddrive not appearing on Desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

UNIX72

IS-IT--Management
Sep 8, 2000
US
Hello all, im running OSX Server 10.3.9 and have 2 backup external drives. The problem is only 1 is showing up on my desktop. I check disk utility and they are both there. How can i access the 2nd drive? or mount to the desktop? Any suggestions or links? Thanks who helps.

Is the missing drive showing up in the left pane of a Finder window?

1: In Finder go to preferences and make sure that Show items on desktop had the correct things checked.

2: in disk utiltiy click on the drive you cannot see and then look at the very top of the window for MOUNT.

Using OSX 10.3.9 on a G4

Hello, the drive is missing on the left pane of the finder window, also in disk utility the drive is already mounted. Any other suggestions? Thanks. I even reformatted the drive, but no luck.

What are the drives? Hard, CD, DVD, etc?

Are they firewire or usb? Are they plugged direct or, if hard drives, daisy chained?

One quick thing to do, if it shows mounted in disk utility, is to unplug from the computer and plug back in while on.

Using OSX 10.3.9 on a G4

They're external USB Harddrives and are plugged direct. I already tried that in disk utility, unplug and plug back.

Another thing to try is turning the drive off then on.

I'm assuming that when you refomatted you used Mac Extended for the format. You might try verifying the disk in disl util and repairing permissions if you haven't done so already.

One thing to try, as long as the problem drive shows as mounted in dick utility is to turn everything off. Then turn on the drives first followed by the mac. That's off not restart. That will usually wipe out a stuck Eject command if it was used. You can also trash your Finder prefs and/or sidk utility prefs.

I used to have both a usb hard drive and cd burner. Occasionalyy they would not mount on boot and the trick was always to unlup anf replug.

One wierd probem we have occassionally is with kensington mice we use on all machines - with the kensington driver. Occassionally the driver does not work correctly and the mouse misbehaves. That too is always solved by unplugging and replugging.

Using OSX 10.3.9 on a G4

Press Shift-Command-G and type "/volumes" (without the quotes). You can then see all of the mounted drives on your Mac.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back