Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

harddrive image backup/restore for AIX 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rsio

Technical User
Sep 2, 2004
CA
Are you aware of any solution for AIX that is similar to GhostServer from Symantec which allows you to create a harddrive image of a server and save it to another machine for future restoration?

Based on my research, the closest thing available for AIX is bare-machine-recovery through the use of Sysback, AIX network boot, and Tivoli Storage Manager. However, this requires that I have a spare AIX machine to function as my network boot server.

Because of limited AIX machines, I am exploring the possibility of configuring the AIX machine to perform a network boot from a Windows machine that is acting as a network boot server for AIX. After which, it will initiate a restore of an AIX harddrive image from a Windows machine where all the images are stored.

Will appreciate your thoughts on this!

Regards,

Robert

you could also do a mksysb and save to anohter AIX server then have that server be a NIM server. I have done many times

Take a look at storix SBA from who are the creators of sysback. We use it to do exactly what you ask for. It works great.

Bob

Dear Bob:

Thank you for your advise. I checked out and will be downloading it for evaluation.

Thanks again.

Regards,

Robert

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back