Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Harddisk is allways spinning (noisy and light is blinking).

Status
Not open for further replies.

mojasco

Technical User
Nov 27, 2007
US
I have a Gateway GT4016. The hard disk is constently flickering on. Even when I am not using the computer. What can I do.

This is normal, Windows does things in the background like indexing and caching. If you leave it for a while it should eventually settle down.

Nelviticus

Of course, you have an antivirus program, and you check for spyware regularly, right?

My personal free spyware utility list (run them all and they each find different bugs):
1. Spybot S&D
2. Adaware
3. Spyware Blaster
4. AVG/ASfree
5. A-Squared Free
6. TrendMicro's Online scan "HouseCall"

Most are available from or a quick Google search. This will insure you don't have malware "phoning home".

Tony

"Buy what you like, or you'll be forced to like what you buy"...me

Certainly give your system several scans with Antispy/Antivirus software but also look:
How much memory is installed? there is a possibility that the system memory is exhausted resulting in hard drive page filing (using the HDD instead of system memory)
Also:
Type msconfig into run column and turn off any unecessary software running in the start menu (all this stuff is part loaded and running in the background uses resources)
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back