Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

hard ware fire wall

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 10, 2003
TW
Can anybody tell me what is the rank with "Watch-Guard firebox system firebox700"?
how's it power?

Andy,

If you can tell me what the question meant more clearly, i'd try to answer it. Otherwise, i've provided a link to the tech specs of the device. Any suggestions what would be more helpful? Or any advice of your own?

margaretlai165

Any chance you could explain your question?
I use a PIX 515UR with VPN accelerator Card, I also use a PIX 501, a Watchguard Firebox 700 with SpamGuard, Microsoft ISA server and My newest addition to my Script Kiddie defence is Astaro Security Linux 4, were you looking for some sort fo comparison between devices?

Sean

Hallow Sean:
It's famous with "Wactch Guard Fixbox serier" in my Country but I do not know wheater it is the same to other area or not ,and is it worth to buy? Becase It's too expansive.
I know that is made from U.s.a so I am interesting to know how much money of it in U.S.A

margaretlai165

The only problem is that I am English not American and using the usual website I would get a indicitive price but not the true one.

But to give you an Idea I payed the following sort of numbers for my Firewalls

PIX 515UR with 16Mb Flash and 64Mb RAM and VPN accelerator =£4700.00
PIX 515 10 User = £415.00 (I use this at Home)
Watchguard Firebox III 700 = £1470.00 with Spamguard
Microsoft ISA Server = £920.00 (Proxy/Firewall for Surfers at work)
Astaro Workgroup Edition, 3 NIC, 10VPN, 5 SMTP Domain =£390.00
Cisco 837 which comes with IP/FW = £450 ish (DSL Router/Firewall)

Depending on whether you want to Packet Filter/Inspect or Proxy (which is nessesary for SPAM detection) or use it for VPN access and how many VPN users, the Star of the show must be Astaro, takes 10 Minutes.
I use it as a outgoing SMTP proxy for various reasons and I use the Firebox for incomming SMTP for Proxing (screening for Spam)and the Pixie is for VPN access.
Obviously each box has its pluses non actually take the cake, and I use a three tier Firewall cover method on all Internet connections because I don't trust any one of them implicitly but collectivly they do the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back