Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

hard time reformating hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

lssp

Technical User
Nov 21, 2004
CA
im haveing hard time with this im looking for a good hard drive format program.im useing xp pro bete and wand to dump it i have a 64 bit board and a Seagate ata hard dive.whats the best format to use other the windows?

Well, you have alot of choices here is list:

1) All the utility programs supply a formatting program like Nortons and their competitors.

2) Shareware also has some. Might want check Download.com

3) IBM.MS DOS program diskettes

4) I believe that you can download the OEM hard drive utilties that are in the retail kits to do the hard drive fdisk partitioning and I think it also format the drive too.

5) The retail box version of Windows XP automatically formats while installing. No formatting is needed. OEM version needs drive to be formatted before it can install itself.

Hope this helpful!

How do you install XP on a machine running 2000 so you don't end up with both operating systems. My copy say it is for systems not running windows or for windows 95 and earlier.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back