Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hard lockup, Exchange 5.5, Win2k, Veritas 8.5 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

GaryL

MIS
Sep 7, 2000
US
Have a Dell PowerEdge 2400
Perc2si, HW RAID 5
Win2k, SP2
Python DDS4
Exchange 5.5, SP4
Veritas 8.5, latest build.

Backup generally works fine. Anywhere between 2 and 6 weeks, the server will hard lock between the DS backup and IS backup. No hw errors or Veritas errors. The last event in error log is the DS is starting; during normal backup the next event is the "IS database backup is starting".
After cold booting, the IS reports error -1018 and won't restart. MS says it's a hardware issue, but I have no errors indicating SCSI or I/O errors.

i had a similar problem...
W2K, SP2
Exchange 5.5 SP3
Veritas 8.5

and MS said to remove SP2 since it doesnt work with exchange 5.5. my issue was the store wouldnt start, but the directory would (so backup failed). i dont know if you want to try uninstalling SP2 because you seem to be working for the most part.

Well,
So far I'm at 8 weeks and counting since I configured it to stop/restart InoculateIT 4.53 RealTime Monitor via batch files so it's not active during the backup. Not my favorite solution--leaving the server exposed for 3-4 hours. I'll probably upgrade to 6.0, which allows more granular RealTime monitor options.

I have this exact error message and almost the exact situation and hardware.

The details:
Dell PowerEdge 2400
Perc 2/si RAID: 2-9GB RAID1 (SYSTEM)/3-18GB RAID5 (DATA)
WinNT 4.0, SP 6.0a
Python DDS4 - Single Drive
Exchange 5.5, SP4
Veritas 8.0

In the past week I have the exact scenario you describe happen twice - once I was able to recover everything, but this last time, I lost three log files and hence ended up loosing two days worth of informaiton.

Have you had any luck in finding the cause? Or better - the CURE?

Any help you can send my way would be welcomed.

Dell did have me download new firmware for the DDS4 drive. I committed the unpardonable sin and applied it as well as disabling the AV during the backup at the same time. If it works another 4-6 without lockup, I'll try letting the AV software run during the backup (or upgrade it like I mentioned before.)

Can you post a link to the firmware update? I haven't patched anything except for the RAID Controller since we bought the server more than a year ago. I'm asuming I should be able to find it on Dell's web site?

Hope that this fixes it. (For both our sakes.)

Keep us posted - I will inform as to the outcome once I get the Firmware.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back