Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hard Links Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrPantsTm

Programmer
Jan 22, 2004
US
I'm trying to use hard links in my document root so as to redirect users to folders outside of the document root. I've create the links but every time I click on them it asks me to save them as url.lnk. I read that you have to allow linking or shortcuts in IIS. My question, is how? Thanks!

well I want to access folders which are not in my document root directory. so

c:
- Other Folder
|
- Other Folder 2
|
- Website Content Folder
|
|

so basically I'd like a shortcut in Website Content Folder to link to Other Folder so that when the person goes to Content Folder/name of linked folder. they go to the Other Folder (either a directory listing or a webpage).

I've been able to do this in Linux using the ln -s feature to create a symbolic link to the folder. when the user clicks on the link, he is redirected to that folder which is not in the root document folder.

I'm fairly certain this can be done in IIS. I've got the links in the folder, I just need to change it from trying to save the link to going to the folder.

any ideas?

I don't think you can't actually "do" symbolic links as such, without a bit of FSO "hoop jumping".
The best way for what you need to do is to use Virtual Directories with the home directory set to the folder you need to access.
Enabling directory browsing will give you a directory listing or having a default page will give a website

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
A website that proves the cobblers kids adage.
Nightclub counting systems

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back