Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hard Drives Work Some of the Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhm54

MIS
Sep 5, 2002
US
Alright here is the issue. I have a PC that I am attempting to install Linux on to use as a learning tool but I have run into a major roadblock. I can install Ubuntu Linux just fine and even partition the hard drive. I can even get it to boot up once or twice but then It refuses to boot and the hard drives make a clunky sound and all I can do is reinstall the Operating system and start over.

Troubleshooting steps thus far.

Replace the Hard Drive (First Step because I thought it had to be the Drive)

Replaced the Motherboard with an Identical board. Gigabyte GA-7VKMP.

I noticed that the A Drive was not responsive so I removed it from the system all together.

Still the system is true to form I can install the OS but then after a matter of at most 30 minutes the hard drives become unresponsive.

Please Help!!!!!!!!!!!

First step is to download and run the manufacturer's diagnostics.
If you are dealing with a problamatic drive no amount of help is going to keep it going.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Well I have already replaced the hard drive and the motherboard.

Overheat problem?
PSU not man enough for the job?
Linux drivers don't match your hardware?

Suggest you sort out why a floppy apparently doesn't work, and then run some diags from the A: drive.

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back