Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hard Drives Making Loud "Knocking" Noise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 13, 2001
US
I have two hard drives on my machine running windows 98 (C: and D: drives). The other day the C: drive started making a loud knocking noise, so I disconnected it completely and used the D: drive as my only drive (now the C: drive). Shortly thereafter, the same problem arose. I replaced the motherboard yesterday thinking it might have been the HD controller, but I'm still having the same problem. This problem occurs after about 15 minutes of use, and then freezes the system. I hate to buy a new hard drive because I find it very odd that both hard drives started going bad at the same time. Could it be the power supply perhaps? Has anyone had a similar problem? Thanks!

Are you sure the first drive you pulled out was the one making the noise and not the one you left in?

Unusual that both would fail at almost the same time. But it has happened before. Especially if they are the same.
How is the cooling through the box? Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

I just bought a new 80 gig hard drive a few months ago and it has always made loud clicking noises while working, and it works fine, but your system freezes?...thats odd, and at the same time, could they be loose in the racks, and be vibrating?

-Matt

Well, I stand here in shame and must admit that the problem was indeed as noted above -- I just assumed the C: drive was the problem, but when I took out the D: drive and left only the C: drive in, the problem was solved. Turns out it wasn't both drives at all but instead it was the one I left in there the whole time. Thanks to all of you for your help and especially to BongWild above for making me see the obvious, which I couldn't seem to see because I was so frustrated. Thanks again to all who helped!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back