Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hard Drives fior an HP2540p

Status
Not open for further replies.

james33

Technical User
Dec 23, 2000
IE
Dear All

A quick question, I am looking to put a 1.8in hard drive in my HPElite 2540p, I have a 2.5in 250Gb drive in what was the DVD drive, an option that I believe is common for most people with this model.
Any suggestions for what to put in the 1.8in Drive location an SSD or a mechanical hard drive?
Also, what arrangement of the operating system as presently on Windows 7 and there is only 1 partition on the 250Gb drive which I was thinking of replacing with a 500Gb?
I do like to give myself problems!

Thanks in advance for any and all opinions.

Jim

Regards Jim
Check the FAQ area of this Forum for answers, it could save you a lot of time and effort! Good Luck!

Thanks rclarke250

Thanks for the suggestion, I was wondering about power issues and how the two different drives compare, I don't doubt that SSD disks are nearly as reliable/data secure as hard disks so that wasn't the dilemma either.
One problem related to that is the disk head parking program that I have on the laptop (in case I drop it). It's called Driveguard and it may only work on one hard disk at a time so that could be an issue if I chose a hard drive.

Just wanted to discuss the options and what better place to do that than TekTips!

Regards Jim
Check the FAQ area of this Forum for answers, it could save you a lot of time and effort! Good Luck!

The newer SSD drives pull less power than a mechanical drive, They are very reliable now, early drives suffered from inconsistent firmware. I have an 8 year old SSD that is the boot drive in my secondary home theater computer and it is still running strong. Not familiar with Driveguard but I have heard of the technology.

Thanks for the info rclarke250 I was thinking of an SSD in that position with the operating system on and using a mechanical 500Gb for the data... Purely for the fact I have a decent one with very little use. I'll let you know how that goes. Once again, thanks.

Regards Jim

There are no heads to park in SSDs so a mixture of one SSD boot drive and one spinning drive shouldn't affect your ability to use the software.

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

Thanks goombawaho, I had kind of worked that one out! The point I was making, was that with 2 mechanical disks there might be the possibility that the Driveguard software could have been 'overloaded' and would thus have failed to operate on either hard disk.
Anyway, I imagine I will go with an SSD in the 1.8in drive bay, and the mechanical one in the 2.5in bay.
Thanks for all the suggestions and advice.
Jim
I must change my sign off in TekTips apologies!

Regards Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back