Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hard Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

lees324

Programmer
Nov 4, 1999
US
I have a IBM Aptiva 2162s3c would like to know because the clone computer you can go into setup and auto detect the hard drive but with the IBM Aptiva you can't. Can you tell me step by step how to find the hard drive because the system is not detecting it.<br>
you can reach me by e-mail also lees324@softcom.net

Warning:
Before you do anything try opening up the case and seeing if all of the cables are still connected. Try pushing them down to see if they are connected well and then rebooting.

I think on an aptiva if you hit F1 during boot-up it goes into the bios. I have an old Aptiva A40. You should be able to look at all the hard drives on Eide 1 and Eide 2. It may be possible to have an incorrect setting and not see the hard drive. Sometimes it is just how the cables are connected when you have 2 harddrives on the same cable, or if the cable is backwards. It may also be possible that the settings for the tracks and sectors may have to be changed (in the bios) to be able to use a new harddrive(See hard drive specs). Sometimes the track and secotor settings are printed on the hard drive. Then on a new harddrive you would have to use a utility to set up a primary and/or extended DOS32/DOS16/NTFS partition, and maybe a logical drive, with a program like FDISK. I prefer to put my one hard drive on eide 1 and the cdrom on the other eide cable. Also if you change how your bios is set up or how the cables are connected this may require you to reset the settings on the back of the hard drive. These are used to indicate slave, master, etc. On one EIDE cable you can put two hard drives so one has to be slave and one has to be master. Then there may be additional settings, like the location on the cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back