Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

hard drive with bad clusters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weava420

IS-IT--Management
Jul 12, 2002
US
We have 2 hard drives. Both have been through scandisk and bad clusters have been found. One the one hard drive the bad clusters were found all over the hard drive. Will these clusters infect others like cancer or will they remain where they are? Is it safe to use a hard drive when a lot of bad clusters have been found?
Thanks,
Matt

Usually bad spots on the media. Manufacturers used to say up to 10% might be bad, but improved processes have cut that rate.
Keep a watch on the drive. If you continue to get more bad it is an indication that there are problems, either inside or with the interface. If no changes over a period of time, then you will probably have the drive for years. Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

And you can always go to the manufacturor's web site and download their diagnostic and run it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back